Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Freegan




Well, I dumpster dove today. Before you stop reading this, totally disgusted, watch this clip from the Oprah show.

http://www.oprah.com/videochannel/videochannel_player.jhtml?video=1962&category=31

I was pulling into CVS pharmacy to use my $15.00 coupon I blogged about on a previous day & I watched CVS employees pulling multiple carts out to the dumpster with boxes of food. Had I not seen this episode on Oprah, I would have wondered what the heck they were doing, but that would have been the end of that. I went in and picked up by diaper wipes I needed, used my coupon and called my husband for moral support. I knew they had just thrown away boxes. I eyed up the dumpster area, there was no lock & a privacy gate around it. I went for it & holy cow I hit the jackpot. The boxes were still in clear garbage bags, and nothing was on top of them. I reached and grabbed what I could, the bags ripped as I was pulling on them. I was even choosy with what I grabbed. There were cheese puffs & fudge covered cookies I tossed back in (none of that belongs on my or my husbands' backend)

In the end I grabbed:

  • 3 Special K
  • 2 Raisin Bran
  • 4 Planters Trail Mix
  • 7 Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs (Chips Ahoy & Oreo)
  • 2 Butterfinger fun packs
  • 4 Chewy Trail Mix Fruit & Nut
  • 1 Nilla Wafers
  • 3 Cinnamon Toast Crunch Breakfast Bars
  • 6 Go Tarts

Not bad for my first grab! (At least I didn't bring home any produce for my family!) Savannah asked why I had brought all these great treats home & I told her someone had thrown them in the garbage. She was very confused, "So, we can't eat these? They were in the garbage?" I told her it was OK, we were going to let dad try it all first. When we went to WalMart tonight for Milk (again, not in the dumpster) and an oil change--Savannah was so excited to point out every dumpster we saw (even in front of the WalMart employee writing up my oil change).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWEET! JACKPOT! :)

The Healing Stone said...

I am not judging, I am just saying... the dumpster?